Richard G. Scott spoke on Personal Revelation in the April 2012 conference. Rereading the talk a few things stood out to me regarding communication from the Spirit.
Revelation = crisp, clear, essential communication from the Spirit
Inspiration = series of promptings, or step by step guidance to worthy objective
Practical principles for enhancing revelation:
1. Seek guidance while studying the scriptures, pray for inspiration and understanding while studying them.
2. Eliminate negative emotions.
3. Have a good sense of humor, avoiding loud, inappropriate laughter
4. Communicate with careful, quiet speech
5. "Exercise, reasonable amounts of sleep, and good eating habits increase our capacity to receive and understand revelation."
6. Recording revelation received shows the Lord we are grateful for His guidance and helps remember what we learned.