Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Peace be unto thy Soul

I have been struggling with a physical ailment for a few months now. My pain seems small compared to others, but it is enough to curtail my activities and cause discomfort. The medications I have been given seem to worsen the situation rather than help and the doctors have just told me to wait and watch. I find myself with mountains of responsibilities with only mouse-like abilities to accomplish them.

I decided to turn to the scriptures and found myself reading in the Doctrine and Covenants section 121 verses 6-8:

"Remember thy suffering saints, O our God; and thy servants will rejoice in thy name forever. My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes."

Joseph Smith had an entire people to lead, a family to raise, and the gospel to spread and he was stuck in a damp, dark, filthy prison that was too short for him to stand up in. The Lord could have burst the prison walls or caused the guards to sleep so he could escape, or just not allowed him to be captured in the first place.

I need to know that peace does not come from being healthy, wealthy, and wise. Peace, the inner calm that transcends all other fleeting feelings can only come from God. From turning to Him for comfort and guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment